Sunday, October 10, 2010

Virtues

Virtues for me are like those among others, valued, and there are a number of are highly valued by me.

Patience, the virtue I value the most and I do try to be as patient as possible as in this world there is a lot of waiting. You have to wait for people, for ideas and for growth, so I see it as that one has to not be bothered having to wait for something as waiting itself is extremely common.

Knowledge is what is known on facts, a “justified true belief” as Plato described it. It is something I admire and aspire to gain, I go to school to broaden my knowledge and I do study to give an extra push of gaining knowledge. Knowledge itself is what is needed for society to survive to get through tough times, as it helps to know how to deal with problems.

Humility, or being humble, is what I wish more people were. Many people are not modest and as I have seen, make a comment or act as if all tough when they are not. This is why humility is a virtue valued by me.

Respect, a big one and another virtue listed where I have seen people lacking it. As they say, treat people as you would want to be treated, and the reason for treating others as you would want to be treated not just because you can and to be a good person, but because pay-back will be a bitch.
Respect to some people (from my personal experience) seem to think respect itself is simply dealing with personal space. I am one of many who say don’t go around shoving beliefs down others throats or trying to get people to eat or not eat some sort of food, not because it is rude, but people tend to be different in beliefs and habits so you would respect that as you would respect personal space.

Loyalty has been important to me throughout my life. It is to be unswerving in an allegiance, faithful to it. I have seen people being good friends to another, then backstabbing them later on for personal gain, mainly popularity, trading great and loyal friends to become popular and this is why I hold loyalty high.

Acceptance, which is seen in various forms, is a virtue I see in a lot of people but it tends to be on a smaller scale then to of acceptance of a wide variety of things. I see people being accepting of other races of people but not of some differences of people (such as of beliefs and homosexuality). People really should be more accepting of such differences as others are going to have differing beliefs and appearances, but also of sexuality, interests (it be of such things as favourite games or music) and habits. Obviously, acceptance for something morally wrong should be discouraged despite what I have heard some sadly argue acceptance being.
People also seem to not be to be very accepting of suffering out there. There appears to be many people who think the world is all nice and good when the fact is that there is always suffering, then they get quite upset themselves when they suffer when it is just a part of life. The world is beautiful in many aspects, yet this world is a world of pain.

Generosity is fantastic to see. People can be great in the fact that they can be highly generous, but unfortunately it is not seen as often as it should be and at times people do forget to be generous themselves. I still go to school and a topic that came up recently is homelessness. What surprised me the most is that a number of people claimed to try to give money to a homeless person who isn’t asking for anything and the money gets rejected, yet there was no claim of trying to being generous to the homeless through other deeds.
People, after all, don’t have to just be generous to the homeless by giving them just money but by offering food or a drink, or even asking if they need something and getting what they want. It is the same with people who are not homeless, sometimes people need a bit of extra change for a little something, maybe they are hungry and don’t have any food to eat. It is not only a good deed to be generous to others, but also helpful to the person.

Compassion, it is one’s capacities for empathy and sympathy for the suffering of others. For me, compassion should be given not only to people but also other life as it is not only humans who suffer. The Dalai Lama said, “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” Compassion is what moves one to help others, to get rid of  the suffering of others.

Trustworthiness, the ability to be reliable, and something I do come across but not on the scale I would want to see. People do lie upon being asked about a topic by people who trust them, and this is might be the reason why I view the virtue of trustworthiness so highly.

These nine virtues I listed is of importance to me and a number of them have been for years. It is such virtues we can see in people but we may see rarely, this is what makes virtues so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment