Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fasting

Fasting is something that has caught my eye recently and it is no wonder as it was Ramadan not all that long ago. Because I live in an area with plenty of Muslim’s I know well that during Ramadan Muslim’s don’t eat or drink from sunrise to sunset. I find it interesting that within the Baha’i faith there is a fasting period that goes from sunrise to sunset, too, abstaining to food and water from March 2nd to March 30th.
Within Hinduism people tend to fast on certain days depending which god or goddess they devote themselves to. A type of fasting which has caught my eye is common within Southern India where people commonly fast on Tuesday’s with dedication to the goddess Mariamman where devotees eat before sunrise and drink only liquids between sunrise and sunset.  Interestingly, within Northern India it is common for Hindus to fast on Thursday’s wearing yellow and yellow coloured food is preferred to be eaten.
As I look more into fasting I might fast in the not too distant future, likely to be during early to late December. Why December out of all months? It has to do with the fact that on Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day is days of celebration close within of each other.  I also get a break from school, so I defiantly won’t be using too much energy.
The days of December before Christmas Day, to me personally, would be great days to show self-restraint and serve as a reminder how many people lack food and water to nourish themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment